Professions Susceptible to Dupuytren’s ContractureSee whether your profession is in the high risk category for the development of Dupuytren’s Contracture
Workplaces That Are Susceptible to Employees Developing Dupuytren’s Contracture
Which Professions are susceptible to Dupuytren’s Contracture?
Studies continue to link prolonged and repeated vibration with the onset of Dupuytren’s Contracture and below is a list of professions and jobs in which you are at a higher likelihood of dealing with high levels of vibration.
Jobs requiring regular and frequent use of vibrating equipment and machinery are found in a wide range of industries including:
- Construction – including the building and maintenance of roads and railways
- Estate Management and grounds keeping – this includes gardening and maintenance of parks, water courses, road and railways’ side verges
- Forestry – both in terms of using chainsaws and strimmers alongside other machinery
- Foundries and Heavy Engineering
- Manufacturing of concrete and other large scale products
- Mining and Quarrying
- Motor vehicle manufacture, repair and restoration
- Furniture Restoration and general carpentry and joinery
- Public Utility management and maintenance including water, telecommunications, gas and electricity
- Cleaning and maintenance
While it is not the jobs themselves that are the problem, it is down to the management of those who perform these roles to ensure that they are given suitable breaks and sensible working procedures to avoid the damage that vibrating tools can do.
Some specific tools that can be responsible for vibration include:
- Concrete Breakers
- Hammer Drills
- Hand-held grinders
- Lawn Mowers
- Power Hammers and chisels
- Powered sanders
Anyone who frequently spends time using machines including those above, which emit a lot of vibration, should be careful to minimise their exposure through the use of personal protective equipment and suitably managed safety practices.
Claiming For Your Dupuytren’s Contracture
Free Legal Advice
If you are unsure whether you have a claim for Dupuytren’s Contracture as a consequence of your work environment, then call our personal injury claims team for free for no obligation advice on making a claim. They will ask you some simple questions about your condition, talk to you about what’s happened and can tell you if you have a viable claim for compensation or not. Call us 24/7 on 0800 122 3130.
Paul Newman, Frank Sinatra, Margaret Thatcher, Ronald Reagan, David Gower, Graham Gooch, Bill Nighy, and even the author J.M. Barrie have all suffered from the condition over the years. It is rumoured that J.M. Barrie, author of the legendary Peter Pan, used his own...